Saturday, October 18, 2014

Thoughts on Taipei

Taipei is a city.  From the outset, it looks like any other big city, with wide busy roads and lots of traffic.  However, navigating is a lil different.  While there are big roads, there are also tons of alley ways, which are actually access points for many buildings.  Many of these alley ways are really quite narrow and would be quite creepy to walk down if it weren't for the good lighting that they have here. 
I haven't quite figured out how they list addresses here.  It took me almost an hour walking around with my 10kg backpack last night, trying to find my hostel.  Finally found it after remembering that I have google maps and that there are wifi hotspots everywhere.  In fact, theres a citywide wifi network called TPE-free.  I guess it's a little like ShawOpen, except you don't need to be a customer.  I don't know if it's specifically for visitors or not, but I did have to produce my passport to sign up for it. 
Anyhow, things that I like about Taipei:
1. city wide wifi.  That, coupled with google maps (especially location services!!!) have saved me so many times today!!!
2. Excellent signage in the metro system.  Maps everywhere.  Maps not only of the stations (which are huge), but of the system and the surrounding areas.  Signage is in both English and Chinese. 
3. Clean washrooms everywhere in the metro stations.  Seriously, not having to worry about finding a bathroom is awesome.  Means I can chug bubble tea constantly!  (aside: I drank too much tea today and got a bad case of the shakes/palpitations...)
4. Cheap shopping so far.  I bought a sweater for NT 75 and a dress for NT 75.  That's like $2.75 each.  Thank goodness I'm 'asian-sized'.  One of my roommates is a 6' tall Aussie and I seriously doubt if she can buy many clothes. 
5. Awesome hostels.  To be honest, I've only stayed in one hostel in my life before, and that was in Niagara falls.  From what I remember it was dirty and gross.  Both hostels that I've stayed in here have been very clean and modern, with lockers and keyfob security.  This second hostel that I'm in has free coffee/tea, and cleans their mugs in an autoclave-like machine.  It's pretty fascinating lol. 

Anyhow, I've got a lot of planning to do as I don't really know what I'm doing tomorrow or the next day.  Til next time!

No comments: