Thursday, October 16, 2014

The way to Dawei

K and I are finishing up our Myanmar adventure on a beach in Southern Myanmar.  There's no wifi here, so I'm just typing this post up from under my mosquito net :)
We flew into Dawei and took a motor rickshaw north to Maungmakan beach, which is a loonnng sandy beach. The southern end has this dirty garbagey fishing village, the middle has many many huts where you can buy delicious seafood, and the northern end, which is completely empty. Actually, if you walk ~7mins north of the main entrance, you can get get to an empty stretch of beach. 
The locals here swim fully clothed.  The first day k and I tried that, but it's really awkward/not used to it. So now k and I try to find an empty stretch of beach so we can swim in our bikinis and not attract stares. The Lonely Planet says it's okay to wear bikinis, but we don't want to offend anyone with our pasty paleness!!!  After wearing long sleeves and long pants for over 2 weeks, I've got this funny version of a farmers tan. 
We have only a few more days left in Myanmar! By the time this gets posted, we'll be on our final night in Yangon. From there, K is heading back home, while I get to experience some solo travel in Taiwan. Looking forwards to eating my way through Taipei!!!

No comments: