Monday, September 29, 2014

Ancient temples of Bagan

First and foremost, Bagan is HOT!!!! It's only 1000 and it feels like you're walking through soup. I actually overdid it yesterday and got heatstroke. Thank goodness I have my own personal doctor with me, who forced me to drink 2L of water, despite feeling super nauseated. A couple of antirmetics, Tylenol, and a good solid sleep in an air conditioned room, and I feel on the mend. Still nauseated and not eating much, but much better.
Anyhow... Our night bus arrived at around 4am.  After taking a taxi to our guesthouse and finding out our room wouldn't be ready til noon, we rented 2 bikes (1500 kyats each) and peddled off into the darkness in search of a temple to watch the sunrise from. Before sunrise the temperature is much more pleasant. We made it to a temple and climbed to steps to watch an underwhelming sunrise. After that we bikes around the dirt roads looking at various temples. It feels almost like your Indiana jones, searching out forgotten temples. Barely saw anyone else around in the early morning hours. However, by 10-11 am it was ridiculously hot and I was about ready to curl up into a ball and die. Heatstroke is no fun, folks. Part of my problem was my water tasted disgusting and I didn't want to drink it. So dehydration + extreme heat = recipe for disaster. Our room was finally ready around 12 so I finally got to take a cold shower and crash. 

Today we are taking things much slower. We rented an electric bike, which kat drives and I sit on the back. It is so much zippyer than the pedal bike!!!  Watched another sunrise from a different temple. Then went temple hopping again. I've been taking pics in my actual camera, hence the lack of photos. Also went to be market and bought some guava, bananas, and what we think are cherimoya. Came back and are just chilling on the guest house terrace. Might take a nap soon as it's way too hot to go out and do stuff. 
We are planning on heading to sittwe and Mrauk u soonish, but this oppressive heat is giving us second thoughts. Think cool thoughts for me!!!

Edit: looked up the temperature for Bagan. It was a high of 35, but a 'feels like' temp of 39. Mrauk u supposedly has a feels like temp of 42!!!!!

No comments: